Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Name That ...

...Thing!
Hints this week are -
  • It was used to repair a particular type of clothing.
  • Every "good" wife would industrially use this at least once per week/month when she had a pile of this particular type of clothing to mend.
  • It wasn't a favourite chore of any woman.
  • The particular type of clothing would be stretched over the wide end for mending.
  • These are no longer used today.
Have as many guesses as you like, the only prize is to jiggle your bits while doing the smarty-know- it- all jig for 5 mins, and to have you and your blog's name in my sidebar list of winners!

Congrats to Lightening, it was indeed a sock darning mushroom, as everyone seemed to know -obviously they're in good supply but not in good use!razz
Do the smarty pants tango and grin like the Cheshire Cat for 5 mins, Lightening!
Thanks to all who had a go, the next Name That...Thing! competition will be posted up again next Tuesday.

15 comments:

lightening said...

Tis for darning socks. Only I can't remember what they called it. A darning something or rather. Am I close enough????

lightening said...

A darning mushroom - is that the right name?

Journeyer said...

I call it a darning mushroom too. No idea if that's the right name. Can't say I've used one that much, but used to watch my grandmother with great interest.

Bettina said...

My mum still has one of those.

Darning mushroom is the right term I believe.

Andrew said...

I am too slow. Sock darner. My mother used an orange.

Daniel Bowen said...

Everyone's mother had one, I expect. I know mine did.

LiD said...

I actually think I know this one. I wasn't as quick as lightening but a darning mushroom it appears to be.

Colin Campbell said...

My mother used this and the rolling pin to keep us in line when we were weans. I never have darned a sock, although my dad did all his own darning.

PiedType said...

Guessing it's for darning socks, although I've never seen a "mushroom." My mom had a wooden "darning egg" -- different shape, same purpose.

blogmaster said...

To stitch up socks

Sueblimely said...

Darning gourds were also used but mum had a mushroom.

lightening said...

Don't think my mum ever darned a sock!!!! If she did, it wasn't very often. I'm proudly following in her footsteps. LOL.

Brian Hughes said...

It's Sarah Jessica Parker's di...er...no, I won't go there.

baby~amore' said...

too slow here too - what else could it be that shape -great clues.

jeanie said...

lol - everyone knows.

The best thing to darn socks?

Use it as an expletive as you throw them away!!!

ShareThis