Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Trivial History May 21

Good morning all you little chocolate bon bons!
Another wonderful night's sleep without any offspring needing to talk the hind leg off a donkey to me in the wee hours, no cats trying to smother me with their love as they try to sleep on my face and, lastly, no dogs demanding extra bed space/toilet/brekkie/playtime/gnawing on my toes in the unlit hours!
As I said, a very good night's sleep!!!!mrgreen

Oddspot-
When a ferry steamer, "Pearl", sank in the Brisbane River in 1896, Charley Briggs jumped overboard with an umbrella and the loaf of bread he was taking home.
Treading water, Charley opened the umbrella, turned it upside down and put the bag inside it. He floated it downstream for a quarter of a mile until he was rescued.
His bread remained perfectly dry and he enjoyed it for his supper that night.

1840 Captain Hobson was feeling his oats on this day when he claimed British sovereignty over the whole of The Land Of The Long White Cloud (NZ for those uneducated yokels) even though the haggling, bartering and compromises weren't yet done with.

Great Aunt Hepzibah's Handy Hints-
To clean the hard to get at insides of a vase or kettle (or similar) fill the container and drop in 2-4 denture cleaning tablets and leave for about 2 hours. Rinse and reuse as needed.

1856 The world's first 8 hour working day was carved in stone by the marches and vocal noise of the stonemasons of Victoria.

Madame Babooshka's Star Sign Reading For The Day-
The current full moon is influencing the tides in the star signs of Wallaby, Kangaroo and Magpie - but only one of these will face an opposing AFL team this coming Saturday.

1930 The ever shy and retiring little poppet *cough cough*, Malcolm Fraser, 22nd PM of Oz, was spawned in the Bunyip patch. So popular was he, he inspired a graffiti poem that was found in many, many places -
"I'm proud to be an Aussie,
I'm proud to be free.
But I wish I was a dog
And Fraser was a tree."

Great Uncle Rupert's Not-So-Refreshing Remembrances-
Ha ha ha ha *cough cough* pass me that water jug, will you? Thanks. Ahhh that's hit the spot! Ha ha ha *cough cough* no, that was just tap water but ahhhhh, my home brew would go down even sweeter than that at any time of the day. Yes, the home brew we started with was making a hell of a racket under the chook house and Father was getting suspicious. We decided, in our young lad's wisdom, to bottle it early and we had a heck of a time pinching those empty milk bottles from 'round the back of the local milk bar. Glass bottles meant money in those days! You could get a halfpenny for every intact glass bottle you took back to the milk bar, we were recycling before your generation even coined the word ha ha ha *cough cough*...
Will Father find the milk bottles?
Will Great Uncle Rupert explain how they sealed the top of the milk bottles?
Will Mother ever get an egg from the chooks again?
Bring your queries along tomorrow to see what the old fussbudget has to blather.

1948 Brit pop warbler Leo Sayer, who now calls Australia home, was found in the munchkin patch.

Miss Ed Ma Kate Shun's Elucidations-
Let the kids read about and make their own quills, practicing to use them afterwards.

2004 Stanislav Petrov was awarded the World Citizen Award.
Never heard of him?
You won't forget his name when you realise the USSR's early warning system malfunctioned in 1983, indicating nuclear missiles had been launched at the USSR from USA but Stanislav refused to believe it and Did Not Push THE Red Button. Read about the man who refused to start World War 3 HERE.

Grandma Mehitabel's Menu-
Vegetarian Pasta Sauce-
Get out your meat grinder and, using the fine teeth attachment, grind up 2 medium onions, 2 carrots, 2-3 broccoli florets, 2-3 cauliflower florets, 1 medium zucchini, 1 medium green, red and yellow capsicums and 3 stalks of celery. (other vegies may be included or substituted).
Throw the lot, well mixed, into a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of butter and let it simmer away on a gentle heat.
Add seasoning and lemon pepper seasoning to taste.
Throw in 1 tin of tomatoes, stir thoroughly and serve with pasta of choice.

7 comments:

Hilary said...

Sure, OK Grandma Mehitabel, I'll just nip into the kitchen and grab the MEAT GRINDER! I remember my grandma used to have one. So, in fact, did my mother, living, as we did, on a farm. But who grinds meat these days? And somehow I missed the 'name that thing' competition, damn it. I don't know where I was. Because we so had one of those when I was a child. I even learnt how to DARN SOCKS! Why would ya?

(Sorry for shouting. Feeling a bit vocal today.)

leechbabe said...

I have a meat grinder. I've only used it once, it turned the meat black :: blergh ::
Yay for a good nights sleep.

Brian Hughes said...

"Brit pop warbler Leo Sayer, who now calls Australia home, was found in the munchkin patch."

I didn't know munchin patches had middens.

tiff said...

Very good to hear that you have had a great nights sleep.
Now, just send some of those good sleep vibes this way, ok?

Jayne said...

LMAO Hilary.
Umm...I grind meat...and vegies...and The Spouse if he gives me any cheek :P

Marita you might need to cure your meat grinder if it's cast iron. Coat it in cooking oil and stand in a warm oven for about 30 mins.

Aye, Brian and he was in the tailings :P

Hope the sleep vibes wandered over to your neck of the woods, Tiff ;)

Kelley said...

Awww, you called me a chocolate bon bon..

Wait. hang on. Did you just call me fat? Hey, I think she just called me fat! Did anyone else see that?

I am totally not talking to you in Biology now...

Jayne said...

Ner, ner, ner ner ner Kelley. I am soooo telling Miss about the Clinkers you've got hidden in your desk :P

ShareThis