Friday, June 13, 2008

The Growing Challenge 8, Eight, and Ate

We have successfully ripped up the remaining roots systems and stumps from the spiky Hawthorn bush and sickly Lilac tree, got our spuds planted, covered in dirt and sugar cane mulch and heavy duty plastic.
I'm stingy so the spuds are a 1kg bag of mixed variety that were going for $1 at the local green grocers because - drum roll - they were starting to sprout.
This isn't the recommended way of getting seed spuds as they might have fungal diseases - yes, something even nastier than tinea - but I'm stingy and I'm happy to take the chance.
If you'd been reading Great Aunt Hepzibah's Handy Hints the other day you'll have already noted our cheat's way of creating heat for the spud garden...1 heavy duty piece of garden plastic attached to two sturdy pieces of wood ( or, in my stingy case, 2 fairly straight chopped down tree limbs).
At the moment the plastic is sitting on the ground but as the plants grow we can raise it up on a few bricks we have kicking around the joint - coz I'm stingy, remember?
I'd bought a couple of net bags of garlic bulbs for 50 cents each that were going out cheap coz - drum roll - they were starting to sprout. So they got split up into the individual cloves and shoved into every spare scrap of dirt/soil/compost we had available and they're now galloping along.
One of the new vegie boxes is beginning to sprout gazillions of seeds, which is good coz I planted gazillions of seedsrazz but they've been helped along with another piece of heavy duty plastic which we use to cover it at night to retain heat and stop any frost dancing over my seedling babies.

The big decision we've made this week, though, is to dismantle and completely shift the vegie box under which Feral Beast is conducting his archaeology dig.
There's only 2 weedy-looking beans struggling in there and nothing can be planted while the dig has undermined one whole side of the garden bed, so it's being sacrificed in the name of history and being shoved over into another corner for His Feral Lordship to continue his digging search for goodies.
Yes, I rock, I knowrazz

7 comments:

Bettina said...

Sounds great!!

You've reminded me that we need to set something up for frost.

Brian Hughes said...

"...they might have fungal diseases."

Are you telling me that the spuds from the grocers are all disease riddled and manky? ASDA and Sainsbury's will sue!

"...dismantle and completely shift the vegie box under which Feral Beast is conducting his archaeology dig."

Excellent decision. Now you should be able to fit the dumpy in the trench.

baby~amore' said...

great frugal ideas and the black plastic too I never thought of that... I'll bribe the teen to do my dirty work

Jayne said...

It's going to be a frosty, dry winter I suspect, Bettina :(
I'm toying with plastic shopping bags up-ended over some stakes around individual plants for protection.

We wouldn't know over here Brian as the produce is kept in cold storage for nearly 12 months before going on the shelves!
Yes, right after we've shifted his mountain of tailings and fill :P

Thanks, Trish :)
Sorry I should have said - it's clear, heavy-duty garden plastic our local garden supplier sells - for making greenhouses and protecting warmer blooded plants in the depths of winter ;)

Kelley said...

Gardening meh. Growing own veggies. Meh. Vegies are totally overrated. Now if you could grow your own coffee beans THEN I would be impressed.

Jayne said...

Ummm, yep you can Kelley :P
Thinking about ordering these babies
Click Here

Hilary said...

Cool! I'm going to grow those coffee beans when I have a permanent garden to grow them in. Jayne, you are my hero when it comes to growing vegetables. How do you have so much gardening activity in the middle of winter? When I have more space to grow things I'm going to watch your blog and do everything you do.

ShareThis