Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Trivial History June 18

Goooooooooooooood morning all you precious lil poppets!
The grass is growing, the birds are singing and we watched a horror movie last night that was so bad it ran out of letters in the alphabet after B.
"Cemetery Gates"; a huge mutant Tassie Devil running amok in an old (American) cemetery where sex-starved teens are filming an even worse movie than the one they were starring in as blood soaked corpses.
Yep, it was a s...l...o...w crossword night.
Now, three down - a 4 letter word meaning something bad, starting with C, ending in P....?

1792 Mary Bryant wasn't a happy camper when she, and the other convicts who did a runner with her, were gaoled indefinitely in Portsmouth. If anyone's baking tomorrow, don't bother with the obligatory file...I'll just send one of my mother-in-law's sponges, that'll sort them out.

Oddspot-
A storekeeper on the Victorian goldfields in the 1850's never had any robberies after his quick action with an axe one night.
Seeing a hand sneaking under his tent, he grabbed his axe and chopped the hand off - the next day he nailed it to his shop counter with the sign "Hands off".

1823 British soldiers could finally, at long last, wear trousers as part of their uniform. Must have been a chill wind whipping about the nether regions!

Oz Slanguage -
More arse than class = describing someone who has more money than good taste.

1873 Oooo noice! Oil street lighting was lit in the streets of Perth. Just don't watch Free Willy with those oil lamps...

Six Degrees of Separation of Skippy-
Skippy - Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Reg Evans appeared in several episodes of Skippy.
He later appeared in one episode of the 1989 re-vamped Mission:Impossible TV series.
This was the inspiration of the Mission:Impossible movies starring Tom Cruise.
Who was married to Nicole Kidman.
Nicole Kidman starred in Moulin Rouge with Ewan McGregor
Who starred as Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars;Revenge of The Sith

1943 The Aussie Govt announced The Land of Oz was no longer threatened with invasion....not that Japan had plans to invade in the first place, but it sounded good at the time.

Grandma Mehitabel's Menu-
Warm tinny.

5 comments:

Hilary said...

Warm tinny? Grandma M, make mine a coldie.
I love the 6 degrees. It starts to become obvious there really isn't much separation between anything, 6 or 7 billion of us or not.
Jayne here's one for your Oz Slanguage if you haven't done it already. I seem to say, "Don't come the raw prawn with me!" and I don't hear other people saying it anymore. Have I forgotten how the expression was supposed to go, or have I made it up? You'd know about something like that wouldn't you?

JahTeh said...

Do I get a prize for the crap answer?

LiD said...

Ah, Jayne. You have been tagged by me for a meme (if you wish to partake).

G still says the "raw prawn" saying. It cracks me up. I don't know where it comes from but my other favourite is Reg Grundies for undies.

Jayne said...

I'm on a mission to connect Skippy to every person from the ancient and modern world ;) *insert evil laughter*
Yep, my mum always used that expression whenever I tried to explain why I'd forgotten to bring my homework from school (again) lol ;)

Yes, Jahteh, you get the chance to smile and nod knowingly when you see that DVD going cheap in some bargain bin and the opportunity to give it a wide berth ;)

Jayne said...

Oh! Ok LiD, I'll have a gander at the meme lol ;)
Kingswood Country immortalised many of those classic sayings ;)
Put ya money on the fridge!
Aw, fair suck of the sav, Thelma!
NOT THE KINGSWOOD!!!!

ShareThis