Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Trivial History August 6

I shall be here but not all there...
Pretty much sums up my life at the moment!
The computer/lifeline to the interwebs is going to the doctor for a tinker and I shant be able to reply unless I snaffle a place at the library computers or bribe the techie bloke.

1762 Throw together a sanga (sandwich) to celebrate the birth of the food creation, brought to you on this day by John Montagu, the Earl of Sandwich himself!

Oz Slanguage-
Up a gum tree = describing someone who is in a bucket-load of trouble..or just really confused.

1806 Governor Billy Bligh, after a sell-out performance in the Bounty Mutiny, arrived at Port Jackson to take up his new role.

Oddspot-
Thrown from his cycle into the path of an on-coming tram in Auckland, Mr Ronald Porter was suspended just in front of the tram's front wheels when his shoelace snagged on a bolt, leaving him dangling until the tram stopped.

1867  NZ's first public statue, the Godley statue in Cathedral Square, was unveiled with aplomb and ceremony amidst the Victorian bonnets.

Stuff-
The first hospital in Oz was built on the west side of Sydney Cove.

1883 The Hobart telephone exchange opened with a grand fanfare of trumpets and brassbands whole 10 subscribers.

Place Name Origin-
Amstel in Victoriagot it's title from a successful market gardener in the area named Van Amstel. Somehow I can't see them changing this suburb's name to that of "The mad cow Jayne what waffles on about history".

1936 Jack Lovelock did NZ proud when he won the first gold medal for a track event, 1500 mts, for his country.

Aussie Love of Pubs-
Golden Fleece Alley was another, ya know.
Ohhhh yes, twas named for the Golden Fleece Hotel that stood ever so patiently in Russell St, waiting till "Time, Gentlemen" was called each evening.

1985 G.J Coles had risen mightily from humble beginnings and grew into a large company that took over the traditional, and much loved, Myer Emporium to become Coles Myer Ltd.

7 comments:

jeanie said...

Get well soon, lifeline to the interwebs!

jeanie said...

By the way - bling at my blog for you.

pure evyl said...

If I was that guy, I would have framed those shoelaces.

LiD said...

Why can't they call your suburb 'Jayne Land'? That would be nice. Hope your computer gets wells soon! :)

Brian Hughes said...

"The computer/lifeline to the interwebs is going to the doctor for a tinker and I shant be able to reply unless I snaffle a place at the library computers or bribe the techie bloke."

PARTY TIME AT JAYNE'S BOARD AND THERE'S NOWT SHE CAN DO ABOUT IT! Whee!

Sounds of heavy rock music, plates smashing etc. Upstairs a young couple are having a barney. The chickens are running round in panic with tail feathers flying everywhere.

"Oh no...there's a fracture in the big crystal egg on the mantlepiece!" (et al.)

Angel Gurl said...

oh thats just sad, having to hang at the library to get ya www fix. I love libraries, dont get me wrong, so I suggest you bribe the techie bloke instead. BTW I did break the crystal egg but I know who did ;-p. So thats who Coles Myer got it's name. From small acorns aye.....

Jayne said...

Thanks Jeanie, I shall wander over as soon as dinner is finished :)

Ditto Evyl!

LOL @ Jayne Land, LiD. They'd probably send all the odd people to live next to me :P

LMFAO Brian.

Couldn't get into the library, Angel Gurl, but I got my lifeline back a day early YAY!

ShareThis