Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Growing Challenge - Recipe for the home producer

Scrambled Egg Cake aka Quiche.
If, like me, you have a yearning to stuff your tribe full of the goodness of your home-grown vegies, this is the ideal thing to show-off the many successes of your green thumb.
Broccoli can be snapped off the humungous plant that is imitating the Triffids and threatening to take over the neighbourhood.
Silverbeet won't complain too much if you sneak up alongside it and quickly snap off a few stalks, the same goes for the tough-as-old-boots celery that is beginning to sprout baby celery plants in amongst it's innards.
You may play tug-of-war with a few carrots you've nurtured through Winter but if they are still at the pre-puberty stage you're allowed to pop off to the green grocers for a quiet one or two.
Capsicum isn't frolicking in the gardens just yet so you might want to cast your baby blues about the store for them as well.
Spring onions are doing their best to turn into leeks so I only added 2 to this dish but you'd be forgiven if you felt the urge to embrace the slender, waif-like ones in the shop.
Tomatoes are few and far between at the moment so grab yourself about 2 of those red orbs to throw into the food. Or at the tribe, whichever floats your boat.
The mushroom farm blessed me with fungus other than the edible sort so I shoved a couple of shop ones into a brown paper bag that wouldn't look out of place in an adult bookshop.
Cabbage, the chook, has deigned to grace us with her bum nuts once more so we have free range googies to batter into the bowl but you can buy your own.
Beatrice, the non-laying chook, was actively discussed for her contribution to the recipe but as she's as tough as old shoe leather we chose to use the remains of the roast chicken left over from last night's meal.
Gently saute finely chopped spring onions, mushrooms and capsicum in olive oil. Unfortunately I didn't buy a manor house with a 1 acre garden nor do I have the budget to spend 700 pounds on plants, like the Llewelyn-Bowens, so I haven't grown and pressed my own olives into olive oil.
We are permitted to purchase this from a store.
Lacking the land I also lack the cow with which I should be making my own cheese, so I cheated again and bought some. *slaps wrist*
Steam the vegies, let cool.
Throw the whole lot into a large mixing bowl and brace yourself with a large wooden spoon.
Not for mixing but for those pesky offspring who keep asking "What's for tea?"
Belt the eggs with a fork before tossing them into the mix, grate up a truck-load of cheese, just to harden your arteries that bit more, and dice the pre-cooked chook, adding to the bowl.
Throw in about 2 cups of plain flour, 1 cup of milk and stir like buggery.
Throw in any herbs and spices that take your fancy.
Discover you forgot to add the tomato, decide that tomato sandwiches will fill the ankle biters till tea is ready.
Scrape into a greased tin, bake for approx. 30-45 mins then serve large portions to the tribe.

5 comments:

Angel Gurl said...

Had to laugh at the manor and olives comment. That does sound great though. Oh your comment about the wooden spoon took me back though.

Brian Hughes said...

All very healthy, Jayne...until, of course, you realise just how much fat there is in eggs.

Mmm...fried egg and chips...might not be as full of natural goodies, but psychologically it's extremely beneficial.

Andrew said...

I am sure my stepmother used to make much the same for her Samoyeds.

Jayne said...

LOL Janine, I had umpteen wooden spoons shaken under my nose ;)

Bum nuts are healthy...so I keep telling myself as I feed pasta and sauce to the chooks :P

Excellent for their coats, Andrew, so it should make your fur nice and shiny, too :P

Bettina said...

lol! love your recipe :)

ShareThis