Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Trivial History September 2

I'm feeling used and abused as my cup of tea was violated on 3 occasions by our cat last night and she's eyeing it off again this morning, intent on branding it as her own.
So I've taken to leaving decoy cups of tea around the place...well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

1861 Those daring young things who braved the chilly waters to answer the siren call of the bright lights of Albury no longer had their weekly wash when the first bridge across the Murray River was opened.

Place Name Origin-
Arkaba in South Oz was named in 1877 from a strangled version of the name of an Aboriginal tribe, Arkabatura.

1885 NZ had a small get-together of 25,000 people in Hagley Park to give their rousing support to the nifty idea of slapping up a railway to the West Coast.


Great Aunt Hepzibah's Handy Hints-
With warmer weather on the horizon, it's time to rugby tackle the curtains and drapes into a Spring freshness by adding a few drops of lavender oil to the final rinse.

1912 Wattle was wildly waved about by the hoi polloi on Melbourne's first Wattle Day.

Oddspot-
13 members of the European Parliament were stranded in Oz during an airline strike in 1981. Anxious to reach NZ they gladly agreed to fly on the Airforce Hercules - so long as they could have ear plugs.
The air force lived up to the bargain.

1922 Henry Lawson was often asked "wattle it be?" by barmen everywhere but no more after this day.
He died totally penniless at just 55, having drunk his way through life; he left behind a magnificent pile of poems and stories that highlight his enduring talent, wit and mastery of the written word.

Oz Slanguage-
Bunyip aristocracy = the supposed "landed gentry" of Oz, or rather the ones who climbed to the top of the mullock heap first.

1928 Not wanting to rush these things, St Mary's Cathedral in Sydney was finally opened, only 60 years after construction began.

Aussie Love of Pubs-
Not being able to have a Romeo Lane without his Juliet, Liverpool St - that trundles it's way between Bourke and Little Bourke Sts- was originally a Terrace known as the name of the fair lady to complete the Shakespeare play.
Alas and alack, changes were wrought upon Juliet Terrace's fair visage and she was cruelly dubbed in honour of the Liverpool Hotel nearby in Bourke St.

1960 NZ had a golden day at the Rome Olympics when Peter Snell won the 800 mts with Murray Halberg coming first in the 5000 mts a mere 30 mins later.

Grandma Mehitabel's Menu-
Cheesy Meatloaf -
Finely chop vegies of choice, steam them till tender then drain and let cool.
Grab raw mince and toss in vegies, 1 beaten (but not bruised) egg, stock of choice, grated cheese and breadcrumbs.
Layer meat mixture into bottom of loaf tin, smoothing it out.
When halfway, generously position slices of cheese down the centre of the loaf, then cover with remaining meat.
Top with breadcrumbs and grated cheese then toss into a moderate oven for approx. 30 mins or till beginning to turn golden brown on top.
Slice and serve with creamy mashed spuds and a generous squirt of tomato sauce on the side.

8 comments:

Les Becker said...

My cat goes after the mint teabag in the trash, drags it out, tears it up, and scatters the contents from one end of the house to the other - only the mint, though. I've an idea I'm drinking catnip tea at bedtime...

Jayne said...

I trust you've been grooming your whiskers properly, Les ? :P

Andrew said...

My grandmother used to have a cup of tea in nearly every room of her house, for her consumption. My mother is similarly inclined and I fear I am now catching the disease. Quite convenient if you don't mind cold tea or coffee.

Brian Hughes said...

"...my cup of tea was violated on 3 occasions by our cat last night..."

Serves you right for using the guzunder as a teacup.

Bettina said...

I had to laugh after seeing St Mary's Catherdral during WYD to see this lovely old building with a neon sign above the front door saying 'G'day Pilgrams'. Wrong, just wrong.

Jayne said...

I'm working on that disease too, Andrew lol.

If you saw the size of my cup you'd swear it was a guzunda Brian :P

That just looked sooooo wrong Bettina lol.

Angel Gurl said...

ooohhhh if Koko started taking an interest in my coffee I would be spewing lol and would get my water pistal out......lol, gosh I sound aggressive but dont mess with me and the coffee.

Goldie said...

hmmm, not sure if this was a good day in history or not! Sept 2 is my birthday so I had to take a look. I was hoping something AMAZING had happened. instead, cat pee. *sigh*

ShareThis