Thursday, January 29, 2009

Trumpeting Trivial Thursday History January 29

 It's just a wee bit tad warm-ish, I'll admit that.
The fact that the heat isn't peaking until after 6pm at NIGHT I have a weeny tiny issue with.
43.5 C (110 F) at 6:15pm
Whoever left their damn oven door open can you Pullllll-eze shut it?!
Now, having written this up the night before (as always) I shall now hit publish and go stand under the hose in the backyard as it's currently 34.boil-them-and-make-'em-squeal-4 degrees C.
No, at this point in time I really don't give a fat rat's clacker about the roaming mobs of spiders looking for an innocent human to mug.

Tis the Feast Day of St Gildas who,( had you been paying attention eleventy hundreds months ago on Brian's blog you'd remember), was the real saint after which the island, ship and suburb of Melbourne was named.
Except they'd twisted it backwards around their tongues and ended up with St Kilda.

1842 Horse racing at Epsom may have been the flavour of the following years but the first Auckland Anniversary Day Regatta, held on Waitmata Harbour, was such a resounding success that it made a gate-crashing comeback in 1850 and hasn't looked back since.

1878 The Cam River was minding its own business when all of a sudden the Kaiapoi Woollen Mills sprung up beside it.

1882 Melbournians were agog with the news that the Russians are coming! were arriving for a friendly afternoon tea visit after they'd cast their baby blue eyes over Sydney and Hobart, with more and more sensational claims in the media about their intentions.
Oh look...we're still here in one piece.
Gosh.
How about that?

1895 The State of savagely money hungry, grasping, greedy Victoria introduced income tax.
Hope your chooks turn into emus and kick your dunny down.

1934 A nasty spot of mob violence broke out at Kalgoorlie and Boulder, in Westralia, against the Yugoslav and Italian communities after an Italian barman accidentally killed a Skip ( bet you haven't seen that mentioned for awhile) with the end result being 2 more deaths and many buildings burnt and looted.

1979 Rotting Rocking Rod Stewart was top of the charts in Oz asking everyone "Does my bum look big in this?" "Do ya think I'm Sexy?"

2008 Over the ditch in NZ this time last year they were getting their booty all funky with Flo Rida singing Low.

6 comments:

Brian Hughes said...

"Tis the Feast Day of St Gildas who,( had you been paying attention eleventy hundreds months ago on Brian's blog you'd remember), was the real saint after which the island, ship and suburb of Melbourne was named."

I have to admit I didn't know that. Mind you I never pay any attention to anything I write, that way I can't take the blame when it's all proved wrong.

Anja said...

Gebus, Rod Stewart and the word 'sexy' should never happen in the same sentence.

Jayne said...

Crib notes always help, Brian, on the inside of your shirt sleeve :P

Abso-freaking-lutely, Anja!

Mistress B said...

my kids like the chipmunk version of Low much better ;) lol

miss diarist said...

Funny you should mention the oven. That's what my tram felt like yesterday.

Jayne said...

I haven't had the pleasure, B, but I shall YouTube it shortly!

...and the trains, the lounge room, the backyard. I swear, MD, there was a stalker following me with a blow torch or something....

ShareThis