Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Feb 10 history

I'm not feeling very clever today.
The sheer over-whelming volume of horror of the bushfires is numbing my brain.
The fires are still burning, people are still under attack, the death toll is still growing (at this time of writing) and the need to cry is constant.
Beautiful places popular for their tranquil settings and historic buildings, with patient and generous residents.
They are no more.


1788 First marriages happened between William Bryant and Mary Broad, and Henry Kable and Susannah Holmes.

1801 Gov King started the Ticket-of-leave system where a convict could earn moolah and pick his own master.

1864 First Christchurch Council artesian well was bored - along with the spectators -on the corner of Tuam and High Sts. The water was a gusher at 4 mts high.

1912 Qld's first high schools opened their doors for the little darlings in Charters Towers, Gympie, Bundaberg, Warwick, Mackay and Mount Morgan.

1967 Today saw the end to the free school milk in all NZ primary schools.

1980 The Townsville International Airport opened.

1990 A large earthquake saw the NZ Parliament evacuated while the PM Geoffrey Palmer and several MP's followed their rigorous training and got under the Table of The House for safety.

17 comments:

Colin Campbell said...

I feel very similarly. Unmotivated and very sad. The fact that this indescribable horror could have been contributed to by arsonists is beyond comprehension.

Brian Hughes said...

It does beg the question 'Why', doesn't it? It also begs the questions 'Who', 'Where', 'How many' and 'What ought to be done'? I suspect some of the answers would be pretty inflamatory in their own right.

Widdle Shamrock said...

Numb seems right. Blogging seems a bit futile for me right now.

anonymum said...

I did do a post, but as you know it was with a very heavy heart..
Numb is how I feel, so I can but imagine how those who have lost loved ones and their homes are feeling...never in my life have I had nothing, so the thought of it being so almost defies imagination...
As to what should happen to those responsible once they find them, well, don't get me started on that, I could end up in jail myself..

anja said...

As Widdle Shamrock said, 'numb'

I dread listening to any form of the media for fear the death toll will have risen.

It brings out the most murderous thoughts in me for what should be done to the bastards who lit these fires.

Amanda said...

Tears are aflowing here too....
Buggers keep leaking out of my eyes.

Jayne said...

Everything pales in comparison, Colin.

Anger is part of the grieving process, Brian, but the anger is going to be massive in this case.

It's just blah at the moment, WS.

Tears and anger here, Anja and Amanda.

LiD said...

Just can't get my head around the idea that somebody would do this. So angry and so sad here.

Jayne said...

It's not supposed to happen in 2009, LiD.

angel gurl said...

Hey Jayne, I can understand why you feel so numb. I found it heartbreaking to watch the last few nights on TV of people affected by this and the fact that there were people who started some of them. Sick so sick and very wrong. Anyway I know I can not possibly know what those people are going through but my thoughts are with them.

Baron Sweetiepie said...

cutie-cutie.

Baron Sweetiepie.
(note my promotion)

Jayne said...

It's mind bending, Janine.

Aye, Baron.

freefalling said...

Sick at heart.

Jayne said...

An illness we've all got, FF.

Deb said...

It is so hard to comprehend Jayne - everyone seems to feel the same. I can't stress it enough to everyone, please concentrate on the good stories. Focus on those that have come back to their homes and loved ones. Focus on the outstanding community spirit that has been shown. Give your money, time, goods or home to those that need it. Even if you aren't religious and don't believe in prayer, please send a happy thought out to at least one person out of the many thousands who need it. It really will help.

Mistress B said...

I don't know that I can watch anymore, but it feels negligent almost not to bear witness.

Jayne said...

Deb, I'm manning phones at my daughters work in the city this arvo, doing something at least.

Exactly, B, it feels disloyal not to witness/ to not acknowledge the horror they went through.

ShareThis