Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tentacles on the trivial brain keep me from history falling asleep March 31

Watching a series on Russia and we fell in love with Tomsk, in Siberia.
The Spouse's rellies come from Siberia, a different town that had a smallish spot of bother with nuclear radiation so we'll settle for Tomsk instead...with their trams and beautiful buildings and museums and universities and did I mention their delicious gingerbread-style wooden houses?
Want one now.
Will sell The Spouse to get one.
Will sell The Spouse just for the heck of it but let's try to get one of those houses anyway!

All science geeks, rejoice!
Tis Bunsen Burner Day!
Just be careful where you point that thing...

Name That Tune.... from the few lyrics mentioned in the title of this post.
No prizes.
Just the chance for everyone to oooh and ahhh at you before the next 15 minute wonder hits the headlines.

1839 Joseph Forbes was rescued from his 14 years in slavery on Timor Laut Island.
For more details click HERE and HERE.

Grandma Mehitabel's menu.
Multigrain home made bread.
2 cups plain flour, tossed into a bowl with 3 teaspoons dry yeast, seeds/grains of choice (sunflowers seeds, rice flakes, oats, sesame seeds, linseed, etc), 1/2 cup rye flour, stir, then add 1.5 cups of tepid water.
Batter the buggery out of the dough for about 10 mins, pop into a bowl, cover with a tea-towel and leave it someplace warm to double in size (no, not someplace warm like in the oven, you dolt!).
Punch the dough down and knead for about 2 mins, then divide into 2 and plop into a greased loaf tin.
Brush top with warm water and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
Sit somewhere warm to rise over the edge of the tin (again, NOT in the oven!).
When risen throw into the moderate oven for approx. 40-50 mins or until golden brown on top.

1902 Twas not the Wright brothers but a mad inventor Kiwi Richard Pearse who was the first to fly in a heavier-than-air craft !
 
Aren't they just magnificently handsome chimneys?!
1904 The Kiwis were at the head of the queue again when the world's first coin operated letter franking machine went on trial at Christchurch.

1928 First Aussie Grand Prix was held at Phillip Island.
I'd say send it back there but the Fairy Penguins have moved on from their ocker bogan days...

Small Rant Ahead
I have no love for Madonna in any shape or form but what gives with the angst over her latest adoption?
4 yr old girl, been living in an orphanage since her mother died 5 days after giving birth, her only living relatives don't have her with them but they're getting up upset with the idea of her being adopted.
Coz the life expenctancy of 48 yrs is soooooooo fecking great in Malawi, let's ban all adoptions.
Let's not allow kids to have the chance at an extended education or a healthy life.
I'm all for kids to keep their connections to their heritage and to know their own country but when it's at the expense of children's lives, this lab experiment gets a big FAIL from me as both a mother and a human being.

1940 NZ PM Michael Savage's body was taken from Wellington to Auckland for burial.
For more information click HERE.

1957 The poopheads closed the Hearns Oak to Yallourn railway line.
But at least you can *gag* walk or cycle the remaining rail trail.

 
When old fire stations were built with such flair and distinction they get recycled into hip upmarket apartments.

1975 Skyhooks were rocking the top of the Aussie pops with Horror Movie.
Yes, Red, shockingly it's another revisit to your past.

1990 Every man and his dog were rioting in England : Maggie had underestimated the Power of The People and the Trafalgar Square Poll Tax Riot was her downfall.
And the Strangways Prison Riot couldn't have helped matters much, either...
Though, according to accounts such as this, her funeral's bound to be a real riot!

13 comments:

Brian Hughes said...

"Watching a series on Russia and we fell in love with Tomsk."

You fell in love with a womble? That explains a great deal...

Marita said...

Hmmm I've been making a fair bit of mulitgrain bread recently and it just does not rise like my other loaves of bread. I've been using a pre-mix so it only occured to me while reading G'Ma M's recipe that the grains would be taking up lots of pre-mix space, so I'm probably only putting as much flour in there as a regular small loaf, not the large loaf I'm used to.

Thank you :) I wouldn't have figured that out on my own but seeing the recipe written down really helped.

Jayne said...

Uncle Tobermory was my favourite, Brian lol.

LOL
You're welcome, Marita ;)
Glad the old duck could be of help :)

Anja said...

Do the Spouse's relo's glow in the dark?

I have a different angle about the Malawi adoption. Not that I'm against overseas adoption, just the way that Madge goes about it.

Jayne said...

Yep, Anja, they had that dim yellow glow about them lol.
I'm not impressed with the way Madge does it either, it's the whole "leave the children in a third world country where the child can expect to have little chance of education, career, life expectancy or their basic needs met in an over-crowded orphanage but hey they're in their own culture so it's ok" attitude that pisses me off.

jeanie said...

I love that they used to build electrical substations with as much attention to detail, too.

rhubarbwhine said...

Tentacles! I logged on and read this as testicles. My mind went a bit AWOL there... !

Dina said...

I'm not sure how I feel about the adoption. I think you have some very good points.

Celebrity adoption though...it does make me wonder. Do they really love these kids and give them the attention they need? Or is it a publicity stunt?

I think what the charities were saying is it would be better if these celebrities donated money so these children could live in their country AND avoid poverty. Now is that possible? I have no idea.

Mistress B said...

I wish I'd read this before the I dropped the kids at school so they could inform their science teacher about Bunsen Burner day! lol

*continues looking for that gingerbread house*

Jayne said...

It's those little extras that make all the difference, Jeanie :)

LMAO Rhubarb!!
I'll fix something up for you...;)

It's a sticky area, Dina, and I don't think there's ever an easy answer for this situation.
Not any one thing seems to be working and it's the kids who suffer.

LOL, B!
Scroll right down to the very bottom of the Chess page ;)

Andrew said...

Where to start?

Great chimney but just does not work with a new tin roof.

Those houses in Tomsk are amazing. I have never seen anything like them.

The Malawi child will be better off with its extended family, rather than a very rich mother. I don't think so.

I used to walk along the Yallourn railway line. I can never recall a train ever using it. I think I can remember the alignment through Hearns Oak. Hearns Oak was haunted.

The evil Maggie is still alive? Oh.

pure evyl said...

An old fire house would make a great apartment. So would an old movie theater. The Media Center would be awesome.

Jayne said...

Excuse me while I nail you to the floor, Evyl lol.
*not in that way, either* lol

ShareThis