Saturday, May 30, 2009

mmmmmmmay 30th

Today is National Potato Day in Peru.
But you can get up close and personal with spuds HERE.
Or on your fork tonight....

Still recovering from the fact that Last of The Summer Wine was NOT on our screens last Sunday.
I think this could take some time to come to grips with....
1870 The Sandgropers were happy lil Vegemites on this day as the Perth Town Hall was officially opened.
woot.
Go explore the convict-built Gothic pile of bricks I'm currently drooling over and plotting how to fit in my backyard HERE.

1959 The Auckland Harbour Bridge officially opened.
So they could stop cadging lifts with low flying storks.
Explore the erection of the bridge HERE.

1998 Geri Halliwell cheered the whole world up - even those damn emos - when she announced she was leaving the Spice Girls.
Yes, there really is a Rock and Roll Guardian Angel, folks.

1999 Bolte Bridge was banked up with traffic as usual named for former Premier Sir Henry Bolte and officially opened by then-Premier Jeff Kennett.

7 comments:

Brian Hughes said...

"Yes, there really is a Rock and Roll Guardian Angel, folks."

I'm sorry, I won't believe that until she's spontaneously combusted.

Andrew said...

Last of the Summer Wine was broadcast here many years ago. I can't really remember it though.

jeanie said...

Wow - 11 years since Ginger left the Spice rack, hey?

Where do you find such trivia?

Anja said...

I now have Spice Grossness going on in my head. Not happy, Jan.

Marita said...

Hey! Don't knock the Spice Girls, they do good lite pop. Plus I really enjoy using the Spice Girls movie to torture my husband :D

River said...

I quite like Ginger's version of "It's Raining Men"

Jayne said...

Hot 'n' Fiery Spice, eh, Brian ? :P

I'm amazed Aunty hasn't picked it up again after that long ago season, Andrew, (which I remember, too) UKTV on Foxtel shows it, it's a proper hoot!
Elderly pensioners getting up to mischief - my future ;)

Any random date I come across I transcribe into my excessively long chronology that I've compiled, Jeanie.
I'm sure I've got the date Pig Iron Menzies was potty trained somewhere....

Shall I serenade you with some ABBA Waterloo, Anja?
Fernando, perhaps? Money, Money, Money?
I know! "I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother...."

LOL Marita! They do have their uses ;)

It's not bad, River, I don't mind her "Scream if you want to go faster" song ;)

ShareThis