Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Frugal Foods tips and recipe Stuffed Meat

Those wafer-thin pieces of meat called sandwich steaks or the like that are usually marked down yet inspire little enthusiasm in the average shopper can be stuffed and rolled into a filling meal with little effort.

Mix up your own favourite stuffing mix.
Take a spoonful of it and spread it across one end, then begin to roll the meat spreading a little more for each time you roll, till you reach the end and secure with a toothpick.

For varients on this recipe you can add small slices of citrus fruit on the stuffing mix in the meat.
Or a prune/asparagus spears/whole spring onions/pre-steamed carrot stick at the centre -let your imagination work for you.
Cherry tomatoes can also look effective although just stop at the one in each steak.

When cooking these you can bake in a dish with a little marinade/sauce/wine of your choice to baste with a covering of foil or lid.
These can also be cooked in a pan on top of the stove with fluid in the pan to preserve the flavour and to prevent drying out.

When using larger pieces of meat the same guides apply - add the stuffing only a little at a time (remember less is more and you don't want it bursting out like a manical sausage).
Cook with added fluids to prevent dryness.
Sometimes it's better to truss the larger meat with string rather than toothpicks or skewers.
When making this for the first time keep checking and basting the meat until you have a good idea of the timing required.
When you're really confident - but not before - you could try dipping the stuffed and trussed meat into batter to encase the flavour (almost like a Beef Wellington).

6 comments:

Marita said...

I really like those little sandwich steaks, they make a great steak for little kids. Small enough to be manageable and a good portion size for small tummies.

miss diarist said...

Jayne, I have to stop reading this when I am not near a kitchen. You make my tummy hurt. (in a good way).

Brian Hughes said...

Steak Canadians I believe they're called. Not sure why. Possibly the cows in Canada are extremely flat.

River said...

I don't like those little sandwich steaks. I think I'll try this "roll with stuffing" with a chicken fillet instead.

Jayne said...

They are handy for kidlets, Marita :)

LOL MD.

Gee, Elizabeth has never offered to post me one of her national bovines, Brian :P

I'm not a fan of them in their natural state, River, but once fluffed and fussed with they can be surprisingly decent.

Nikki aka Widdle Shamrock said...

OMG Jaynie, when I said the stuffing post gave me an idea, THIS is what I was thinking. However, Jock the Kiwi brought dinner home. So I am doing it tonight.

ShareThis