Saturday, July 18, 2009

19th means 6 days til Xmas in July ...

I shall be running amok in Shepparton.
As the Presidents of the USA once sang....
Movin to the country gonna eat a lot of peaches
Im movin to the country Im gonna eat me a lot of peaches
Im movin to the country Im gonna eat a lot of peaches
Movin to the country Im gonna eat a lot of peaches
Peaches come from a can they were put there by a man
In a factory downtown
If I had my little way Id eat peaches everyday
Sun soakin bulges in the shade

Though I really think gobbling down gazillions of peaches every day would give you a gut ache or turn your skin orange or make your hair curly.
Or something.

Today the children of Piddinghoe, UK, have a special tea called Little Edith's Treat.
Read about this event (and other quirky Piddinghoe traditions like shoeing magpies) HERE.

1500 A wild, brazen hail storm raged its wicked power so mightily when it vented judgment upon the church that it brought down the ceilings in the Papal Palace in Rome.
Or the tradesmen just hadn't been paid....

1814 Poor old Matthew Flinders popped his clogs at the age of 40.

1860 She who inspired the schoolyard rope jumping rhyme of;
Lizzie Borden took an axe
And gave her mother 40 whacks.
When she saw what she had done
She gave her father 41.
was born on this day in USA.


1916 Battle of Fromelles  ; when too many boys were used as cannon fodder.
To learn more about the bloody battle and how the forgotten mass graves were recently discovered click HERE.

1946 Orange - which isn't famous for oranges, btw - was declared to be a City!
Learn more about this veritable fruit bowl HERE.

1982 The Privy Council ruled on Western Samoan citizenship.
For more details click HERE.

1987 Molly picked up his bat and ball and went home when the ABC axed Countdown.

1988 Jock Orr aka "The Birdman" (as he befriended birds in Cathedral Square) died on this day.
*Tried to verify but no other sources except for CC Library.

1994 The 55th floor of the Rialto Tower was opened by Jeff Kennett.
It's an observation deck for those who can't Gurgle it.

Yes, shall I call or will you so we may be 'motored out to inspect' this simply marvellous South Australian bungalow with it's 'pretty mantles and tiled hearths'?
Found it in the July 19th, 1916 newspaper...I'm sooooooooo certain it will still be available....and even still standing knowing developers of late!

6 comments:

ELIZABETH said...

..so refreshments and toilets are available at the beginning and end..

Pee first or refill? Always hard to decide.

Looks like a nice area for a walk.

Marita said...

Lovely day to be out and about.

Anja said...

I love the Lizzie Borden rhyme. I shall sing that tonight at work.

I always assumed the "Peaches" song was in reference to something else a little fuzzy. Or is that just my feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelthy mind?

I am always amused by the acronym of the 'Presidents' POTUSA. And I think they used a lot of it.

Mistress B said...

Surprisingly enough, Orange is a huge apple growing area lol

River said...

Sun soaked peaches. Oh, the memories. I once rented a house with an old variety of peach tree in the back yard. I'm not sure what type, but I think perhaps it was a Golden Queen Peach. The fruit was so large I needed both hands to hold it, when ripe it was golden with a beautiful pink blush, yellow fleshed freestone. Picking one off the tree and biting into the sunwarmed juiciness was heaven. I moved away to a house closer to work as I was tired of catching two buses every morning at the crack of dawn. That house also had a peach tree, but the fruit was small and hard, white fleshed and bitter.

Jayne said...

Had a ball, girls!
T'was fun, good weather, glorious bargains and great company :)

ShareThis