Thursday, July 2, 2009

A 5 minute tram service?! Sir, I declare you must be stark raving mad!

Proof that the more things change the more they stay the same...especially when it comes to Melbourne's public transport...

From The Argus, Saturday 3rd July, 1926
So, Daniel, what are the service times of trams during peak hour these days...?

It's Chocolate Wafer Day, so go dine on those yummy wafers!

1850 Tired of wearing out their shoe leather they finally started work on NSW's first railway line from Sydney to Parramatta.

1872 William Thorn, first white kid pupped in Victoria, dropped off the twig at the not-so-kid-like age of 88.

1947 Sweetness was once again to be had when sugar rationing ended.

1950 And then we had something to sweeten when tea rationing finished.

1963 Helicopters were first used in search and rescue when a DC-3 aeroplane crashed in Kaimai Range which is still considered NZ's worst civil aviation accident.
More information about it HERE.

Somehow I don't think the station was in its current condition (click HERE) when they were celebrating the pomp and ceremony hoopla.

6 comments:

Daniel said...

heh, the more things change, the more they stay the same!

Andrew said...

I did a double take when I saw in the letter, 'standing to Glenferrie Road'. The tram doesn't go near Glenferrie Road now, but I think it used to. East Malvern used to be one of the quieter tram routes, but much busier now because of Swinburn at Caulfield.

Peter said...

Hi! Love the images of the railway station. What century were they taken in?

Travel woes abound here too, I can tell you, especially where I live! Out in the boom docks to be exact!

Lets see, if I don't have the car, this is what happens. (car trip equals 1hr)

To get to work in time, I get up at 3.30am for the 5.37am bus down to Penrith.

The walk to the bus stop takes about 10 mins - all up hill!

Now the only thing that can go wrong at the bus stop, besides the bus not turning up, is if I don't have the correct change. Then the old bugger won't let me on!

Once at Penrith Railway Station it will take me an hour or so to get to Redfern or Central.

Now, if I'm lucky I'll get the fast country train. Mind you, you have to watch where you sit, because the regulars have their own designated seats.

Heaven help you if you sit in one of them! Most probably you'll get turfed out of your seat. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I've seen it happen alright!

If I get the slow almost all stations, I'll be on my legs for the entire trip! God, damn it!

Now, if I get off at Central, I catch the train to Green Square. Because it's the airport line they charge like a wounded bull, so most times I'll get off at Redfern.

Then it's a short bus ride to where I work. No sitting down here, the buses are as full as a goog. How I hate looking down at the floor and through people!

In any case, I'm in time to get to work 5 mins late for the 7am shift. All up thats just over 3.5hrs in the get to work process. 7.5hrs if you include the trip home.

This all makes for a very long day, considering I work 12hr shifts!

But I love my job and you got to take the good with the bad! Haven't you?

Take Care,
Peter

River said...

"1947.........sugar rationing ended"

Maybe that's not such a good thing after all. Given the health and obesity worries of the general populace these days, hindsight suggests that sugar rationing was/is a good thing.

I'm trying to ration my own sugar, without too much success. sadly.

River said...

"1947.........sugar rationing ended"

Maybe that's not such a good thing after all. Given the health and obesity worries of the general populace these days, hindsight suggests that sugar rationing was/is a good thing.

I'm trying to ration my own sugar, without too much success. sadly.

Jayne said...

Thought you'd agree, Daniel LOL.

It's shocking how the hoi polloi have dragged down decent tram routes, Andrew :P

Crikey Peter! I'd be all for having the car every day!

It's hard, River, especially when it's the hidden ingredient in so much processed food these days.

ShareThis