Saturday, December 12, 2009

Terrace houses are the filigree on the wedding cake of Aussie architecture

Have been perusing a blog on Australian Terrace Houses - fab photos, great eye for detail and the write ups are accurate - so I thought I'd pop in some pics of a terrace we passed on the Burnley Heritage walk a few months back.
The reason I'm including these is because we were told the verandahs had all been removed, all ornamentation was gone with the terraces looking a bit worse for wear when one person began restoring one house.
Suddenly, the whole lot were getting their bling back, wrought iron and verandahs even the overhead lining boards on the verandahs were restored.
So many terrace houses are torn down once they've lost their individuality or facade that made them appeal to passersby that it was damn nice to hear/see a group that were saved with genuine love from the owners.



 


 

 



This one is tucked down a side street in Burnley, obviously awaiting the fairy godmother of terrace houses to wave her wand and pretty it up again.

6 comments:

anonymum said...

Some of the old places are great aren't they? Remind me so much of my childhood too..wandering the streets and looking at all the "flash" houses...

Cazzie!!! said...

I love that wrought iron adornments. I once had to tale pics of the "outer encasement of historic loos" around Melbourne for someone who lives overseas. Apparently we are famous for our 100yr plus wrought iron features... written in a Lonely Planet Tour Guide Booklet!

River said...

Don't terraces look absolutely beautiful when they fully restored and properly cared for? I just love them. Don't think I could live in one though. Long and narrow would feel small and cramped to me. It's bad enough in my little unit, which I love, but I wish, I pine, for space. Room to walk without bumping into furniture. A yard big enough to plant out my trees. They're in pots and surviving but not thriving. Like the song says, give me land, lots of land.......don't fence me in....

Andrew said...

The pissoirs Cazzie. I have never been in one and I doubt you have, but they look nice from the outside.

I do like wrought iron lace work, but my preference is for lovely timber fret work. Great photos Jayne.

jeanie said...

I lived in a few very similar ones - its amazing how spacious they can feel - but the verandah's are a bit of a waste when they are on main roads. Just saying.

Jayne said...

Yep, Mo, they are easy on the eye ;)

There's a book out on the wrought iron of Oz, Cazzie, which says a lot for our love affair with it ;)

They speak of being for really for a professional single or couple sans kidlets, River. I know what you mean!

I has been in the pizzoirs, Andrew, and lived to tell the tale lol. Wooden fretwork of the Federation/Edwardian era is an art-work in itself.

I agree, Jeanie, driving through Richmond main streets I used to wonder how, if at all, anyone enjoyed their 1st or 2nd floor verandah with so many eyeballing them.

ShareThis