Thursday, January 28, 2010

Screaming down the January Laneway, about to make a sharp right turn into February with bells and whistles

I have photos.
Many photos.
Odd, interesting and quirky photos that are made all the more humourous with a silly caption.
They are snoozing in my camera.
My camera is in my handbag.
My handbag is nestled in my backpack.
My backpack is in the lounge room.
I am in the dining room.
My arms and legs are painted on.
Here endeth the lesson.

1829 McGill University, built from the legacy of fur trader James McGill, was opened in Montreal.

1842 Auckland began celebrating the arrival of Lt-Guv William Hobson with a great regatta which has sprung up each and every year known as Anniversary Day.

1856 Alexander Dunn became the first Canadian to be awarded the VC for his participation in the Charge of The Light Brigade at the Crimea two years previously.

1875 The Kaiapoi Woollen Mills was birthed.
History of the mills HERE.

1879 Thrill !!! to the news that almost 14 miles of train track began rollicking between Springhurst and Wahgunyah.
Known as the Wahgunyah Line it did not survive being *Jeffed.... more info HERE and fab photos of the stations HERE.

2003 ATSIC and former test cricket captain Ian Chappell called for the 1868 Aboriginal Cricket Team to be officially recognised as the first representative team of Oz to tour the Old Dart.

*Reference to then-Vic Premier Jeff Kennett under whose leadership much public infrastructure was closed, sold off or merged; effectively "Jeffed".

Yellow = New Zealand
Orange = Canada
Green = Australia
Red = usually British or other nationality
Anything in bold, italics and coloured blue is a link to another site with more info.

Anything outrageous is usually humour and/or sarcasm.

8 comments:

Brian Hughes said...

"My arms and legs are painted on."

I take it you can't afford genuine stockings?

ELIZABETH said...

Jayne. Not much help from me re papers but I have sent an email to my retired librarian sister in law who worked and still lives in Toronto.

Jayne said...

Goodness, no, Brian!
The amount of crayons I go through with drawing those seams...!

Thanks, Elizabeth, much appreciated.

Andrew said...

Son, Mum is tired. Fetch my backpack will you? What is the point of having kids?

Janine said...

lol at Andrews comment, thats a good point he raises lol. I laughed when I read about your arms and legs being painted on, some days I feel like that too. looking forward to seeing ya photos when the camera jumps out and uploads itself onto the blog.

River said...

Like JahTeh, your legs are on strike demanding better working conditions, yes?

Jayne said...

LOL Andrew, good point ;)

They'll be up soon-ish, Janine ;)

Gawd, after today they're going out til Hell freezes over, River lol.

Debby said...

Oh my gosh! You say that too? It was one of those snappy mom comments to lazy butt kids. As in, "What?!! Are your arms and legs painted on?!!!!!!!! Go get it (or go do it) yourself!"

I had a good laugh at that.

ShareThis