Friday, February 12, 2010

Feb 12 we gots us a biggun an' it's not a turnip, m'Lord Blackadder

Took Feral Beast to his first orchestral concert in the Melbourne Town Hall last night.
LOVED it!
He is heartily and happily hooked on the orchestra, has been for some years now, but last night was his introduction to the Melbourne Town Hall and Orchestra Victoria.
The conductor, Benjamin Northey, looks like a long lost sibling of Andy Muirhead but also has a very generous soul; he played up to the audience, wore the biggest grin when conducting Harold Fabrikant on the Melbourne Town Hall organ (yes, we boast a large organ, that is why we smile a lot, why do you ask?) during Rheinberger's Organ concerto taking obvious delight in the talent before him and insisted on each orchestra member stand to accept the almost non-stop applause.
Now, enough of this blather...

1880 After having been used since July 1875 someone thought t'would be ideal to officially open the Sydney Town Hall.
1909 The white dolphin Pelorous Jack did not guide the ferry SS Penguin to safety through the Cook Strait and it was thus wrecked at Cape Terawhiti with 75 lives lost.
1915 Born in Ottawa on this day we would never have known Bonanza without Lorne Greene.
1930 The Spencer Street Bridge in Melbourne was officially opened.
1976 The Paekakariki Express aka Christian Cullen, former New Zealand Rugby Union Footballer, was pupped.
1994 Reverend Victoria Matthews was consecrated as the first chicky babe Bishop in the Anglican Church of Canada.

Yellow = New Zealand
Orange = Canada
Green = Australia
Red = usually British or other nationality
Anything in bold, italics and coloured blue is a link to another site with more info.

Anything outrageous is usually humour and/or sarcasm.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool article as for me. It would be great to read a bit more about that matter. Thnx for sharing that material.

Andrew said...

Although I haven't heard it being played, I have heard that the organ is marvellous.

Brian Hughes said...

"...we would never have known Bonanza without Lorne Greene."

My grammar's all gone to pot with this one. I keep thinking, if we neutralise the double negative, does that suggest that we'd have known Bonzana with Lorne Greene, and if so, what does that actually mean anyway? This is what happens when I try to give up smoking. My brain collapses in a heap of dust and matchsticks.

Jayne said...

Ta, Anon.

It is rather spesh, Andrew, free concert next Wed 1pm.

I totally mucked it up with my brain in neutral, Brian, I have no idea what I was saying...who is Bonanza? what is Lorne Greene? Where am I and what is the Royal Navy doing in my dining room....?

River said...

Orchestras don't excite me one little bit.

ShareThis