Sunday, March 14, 2010

More silliness, some history and...stuff

As the room gave a collectively hammed up gasp of shock at Poirot's last statement the door burst open and in barrelled Margaret Rutherford.
Holding out her hand to stay any movement from Miss Marple she swept past commanding,
"Sit tight, Jane, I'm here for Sherlock,".
Nodding in agreement and not missing a stitch with her craftwork Jane Marple watched curiously as her former incarnation went to work.
"Excuse me, Miss, but...all those doilies you knit? What do you do with them?" Jones asked as he leant across the armchairs.
"Tat,"
"Pardon?"
"I don't knit. I tat. I tat which makes lace. I gave up making doilies in the 1950s, far too old fashioned.
 No, I tat lace for inserts on erotic lingerie and sell it through my Etsy shop online. Quite popular with certain WAGS, y'know, although I can't for the life of me figure out why when they seem to prefer wearing nothing, if all those magazine photos are anything to go by. In fact, it's so popular I live in Spain these days to avoid the tax dept," the sweet faced little old lady replied.
Jones nodded and gave a defeated "Ah" as he sat back in his own chair.

1684 One of the several dates given for when William or John "Swift Nicks" Nevison, highwayman, came to the end of his tethered rope.
More details of his derring do HERE.
1877 Some flannel fools fielded a couple of teams to have a friendly match between Oz and Old Blighty on the pitch of the MCG.
1962 Canadian Donald Jackson became the first in the world to perform a triple lutz in a figure skating competition which landed him the gold medal in the world championships.
1983 New Zealand's first 'test tube' baby was born.

Yellow = New Zealand

Orange = Canada
Green = Australia
Red = usually British or other nationality.
Anything in bold, italics and coloured blue is a link to another site with more info.

Anything outrageous is usually humour and/or sarcasm.

7 comments:

The Vintage Kitten said...

Hi Jayne, No probs about the right click thingy, I was just trying to stop a certain person who has been copying my blog, but thanks so much for letting me know. Enjoy the rest of your weekend X

ELIZABETH said...

Joan Hickson was my favourite Miss Marple.
Imagine her solving a crime along with Helen Mirren in her role in Prime Suspect.
Knitting needles vs a stiff drink.

Jayne said...

No worries, VK, I thought something must have been up. Hope it sorts itself out soon.

Oh, Elizabeth, that would be great if they combined those forthright women together!

Brian Hughes said...

Margaret Rutherford in lace erotic panties. Now all you need is Alistair Sim in suspenders carrying a whip and you'll have created slash-fiction hell.

Jayne said...

That was almost the direction I was heading towards, Brian....almost but not quite that bad :P

River said...

I'm liking this mix'n'match storyline. You're very clever.

Jayne said...

Thanks, River *blush*

ShareThis