Monday, March 15, 2010

The train wreck continues....

Margaret Rutherford echoed Jones with her own "Ah!" but it held a more mildly disappointed tone.
She had found Sherlock Holmes and was face to face with her quarry.
"Ah," she repeated, "Dash it all."
Sherlock merely raised one eyebrow in query.
"You're the Basil Rathbone model. I was actually hoping to see the Rupert Everett one," she explained as she peered into the depths of the shadows blanketing the other half of the great room. As she made to move deeper into the gloom two things happened; a thin boney hand firmly gripped her ample shoulder with a surprising strength and a mild groan drifted from the shadows.
"I doubt you'll find Rupert in there, Margaret my dear. More a sharp-tongued harpy nursing the very devil of a hangover," the Basil Rathbone's Sherlock intoned.
"Tennison?" the late Dame Rutherford asked, accepting a fine bone china cup of tea from former vampire hunter, Buffy.
"Hmm, yes," Rathbone replied, "Any particular reason you're looking old Rupert up, m'dear? It's only that...well,  I do have him on Facebook but I don't like suggesting friends if they're only after him for introducing dreary awards nights at ghastly girls schools,"
"Oh, no, that's alright," Margaret twinkled at him with a mischievious grin as she patted Basil's thin arm and produced her iPhone,
"I was just hoping to get the role as sports mistress in his third St Trinian's movie. I've always fancied hockey sticks and bloomers after dark,"

1843 James Douglas began building Fort Camosun (later known as Fort Victoria) on Vancouver Island.
1940 Jockey Y Fronts went on sale in NZ for the first time (she says with a perfectly straight face whilst including a link to NZ social studies involving said Y Fronts).
1949 Voting rights were oh-so-graciously granted to Aboriginal People who had served in the Defence Forces (/sarcasm)
1973 QE2 officially opened the new London Bridge ...cos every school kid knows "London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down..."

Yellow = New Zealand

Orange = Canada
Green = Australia
Red = usually British or other nationality.
Anything in bold, italics and coloured blue is a link to another site with more info.
Anything outrageous is usually humour and/or sarcasm.

7 comments:

Brian Hughes said...

I'm seriously starting to doubt your sanity...or the existence of your social life.

ELIZABETH said...

Could make an interesting series though Brian. I'd tune in if it ever played here.
Resurrecting the dead could be a bit of a challenge for Jayne but I'm sure she's up for it.

Janine said...

oh jolly hockey sticks, that was a ripping wee yarn. Scoffs another scone with lashings of cream and washes it down with a cuppa tea.

Loved reading your wee serial.

Um Y o Y fronts, I had to check out that link lol. The social studies unit cracked me up.

Jayne said...

Wise to doubt their existence, Brian, they are but myths in this household :P

I'll get 'em up and lively, again, Elizabeth...with a bit of garden twine, a hessian sack and one of Baldrick's beloved turnips ;)

Thanks, Janine, definitely scones, jam and cream :)
The social studies unit was a good giggle.

Cazzie!!! said...

Hahaha, Y fronts are great to use as sling shots..that is all!

River said...

I knda feel like I should be tatting up another doily while I read this. Or maybe whipping up another batch of scones.

I used to love the St Trinians movies.
"Morals is, not going out with boys, after dark".

River said...

I knda feel like I should be tatting up another doily while I read this. Or maybe whipping up another batch of scones.

I used to love the St Trinians movies.
"Morals is, not going out with boys, after dark".

ShareThis