Monday, May 31, 2010

Dead gorgeous dead 'uns and drain covers

1920 Gorgeous Bundaberg pin-up boy of the air Bert Hinkler began his long-distance record by flying from London on this day to Turin, Italy in a mere 9.5 hours.
1926 NZ became a member of the Imperial Cricket Conference that was not run by evil emperor Palpatine (for Star Wars geeks) contrary to popular belief but is, in fact, the International Cricket Council.
1962 C'mon, doesn't everyone want to start singing along to "I wear my sunglasses at night"? Corey Hart writer and singer of the aforementioned earworm was pupped on this day in Montreal.
Go on...you know you wanna watch the video clip HERE.
And maybe sing along for the rest of the day....

In exciting (?) Melbourne Drain Covers Appreciation Society news there are a few bajillion more eagle-eyed kidlet has spied...drain covers that is... which I shall snap with a camera when I next venture that way.

Yellow = New Zealand
Orange  = Canada
Green = Australian
Red = UK or other nationality
Italics, bold and coloured blue are links to further info.
Anything outrageous is usually sarcasm and/or humour.

7 comments:

Janine said...

I loved that song when I was younger lol, man I loved music in the 80's and 90's lol. I could more or less understand what people were singing back then lol.

River said...

I've never found drain covers all that interesting. Maybe I should take a closer look.
I liked a lot of the 80's music, but I'm not sure I remember Corey Hart.

Andrew said...

I liked that song too. Was it the same guy who did You'll always find me in the kitchen at parties? You could find me in the kitchen at parties with my sunglasses on.

miss diarist said...

I went to Bert Hinkler's house in Bundaberg on a family holiday when I was about 7. I remember being very confused when we got there - I thought we were going to visit a friend of Mum and Dad's called Bert!

rhubarbwhine said...

Andrew, Jonah Lewie sang 'Kitchen". I am a bit of an eighties junkie, my iPod is full of 80s....

Jayne said...

I know what you mean, Janine!

He was the dude not in the kitchen wearing his sunglasses at night, River :P

What Rhu said further down, Andrew.
By the mixmaster or kitchen sink?

LOL MD.

Excellent taste in music, Mz Rhu ;)

lavenderbay said...

People notice drain covers? Man, I'm feeling less weird all the time! There was one in my neighbourhood in Toronto that I always paused to admire for its date of 1914.

As for sweetiepie Corey Hart...my favourite tune was "Never Surrender." Who knew one could wax nostalgic for angst?

ShareThis