Friday, May 14, 2010

May 15 things

Thank you, dear hearts, for your supportive words and advice which I have appreciated a great deal.
Had an ordinary couple of days between Feral Beast going through hoops with puberty and my Dad...going through his second childhood
Hoping we may have a lull for at least one day.
Failing that I'll either be pulling the blankets up over my head or burying myself in the vegie patch for some peace.
Yes, feel free to chuck a bit of compost on top.

1818 Poor old Father Jeremiah O'Flynn got flung into gaol for not having the correct credentials.
Further details on the hapless cleric HERE.
1907 Toronto plumbers began a 4 month strike.
Shyte, hey?
1920 Poet D'Arcy Cresswell was shot by the Mayor of Wanganui, Charles Mackay, after Cresswell threatened to 'out' the Mayor.
Further details of the incident HERE.

Yellow = New Zealand
Orange  = Canada
Green = Australian
Red = UK or other nationality
Italics, bold and coloured blue are links to further info.
Anything outrageous is usually sarcasm and/or humour.

13 comments:

Janine said...

blooming heck at the nz article. Reading that article was like reading a plot for a soap opera. Shocking!!! Pretty scandalous for NZ back then.

Andrew said...

A homosexual in NZ in 1920. Preposterous.

Jayne said...

A shocker, Janine, poor Mackay was obliterated from all records.

Exactly, Andrew, homosexuals only appeared in the 70s, didn't they? (tongue firmly in cheek)

JahTeh said...

Sorry for my happy blog post on my mummy but this time last year I was ready to give her a long run off a short pier so I know your trials. Unfortunately it doesn't get any better until you stop being the carer.

River said...

Hugs and wishes for a peaceful day or three. Heck, make it a week.

miss diarist said...

No, Jayne, there'll be no heaping of compost. Will support do instead?

Bit of a sad ending for old Mackay.

lavenderbay said...

Actually, at that time in Toronto, people were still allowed to keep farm animals in their backyards, so maybe no one noticed the strike? But yeah, these days a four-month garbage strike in Tronna would be pretty crappy, all right.

Debby said...

I don't believe that you've ever been silent this long before, and I hope all is well.

Debby said...

Jayne, I thought that I left a message yesterday. Hope all is well. Your blog has not been silent for such a length of time before. Thinking of you...

LiD said...

Hey Jayne, I am really sorry to read that you are having such a difficult time at the moment. My Grandmother had senile dementia, and although I did not have to take care of her, I do know how heartbreaking and frustrating this disease can be. Take care, I'm thinking of you.

R.H. said...

What I enjoyed most is they burned his photo.
I actually laughed (an unusual event).

traceelements said...

Hope your lull in posting doesn't mean that the compost has hit the fan at home. Thinking of you. T.

Anonymous said...

Just want to say what a great blog you got here!
I've been around for quite a lot of time, but finally decided to show my appreciation of your work!

Thumbs up, and keep it going!

Cheers
Christian, iwspo.net

ShareThis