Sunday, July 4, 2010

Beaufort with photos and captions and poking with sticks at half the regular price.

Ok, if the pics don't work don't screech at me, I'm figuring out this Photobucket thingie.
Photobucket
Here's the Ontario badge beside the Beaufort train sign.
And my purple thumb nail.

Photobucket
Wind Turbines off on a far hillside.

Photobucket
Straight out of the station we spied...The Railway Hotel.
Which, while it's still near the railway, is no longer a hotel.

Photobucket
Pretty post office.
Completely devoid of toys.
Apparently they only sell stamps, envelopes and money orders.
YIPPIE!!!!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Feral geek kid snapped some of the intact architecture and leadlight.

Then we were let loose in the cemetery.
Woot.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Oops, you blinked.

Photobucket
I think she's held her age and features quite well.
For a dead gal.

Photobucket
Chinese burials mixing with the occidentals.
No racism there.

Photobucket
Original wooden headstone, barely legible but still in good condition.

Photobucket
It's a big 'un.


Photobucket
Old woollen mills, closed down in 1980s.

Photobucket
Take a good look at this one.
Then have a gander at the photo in my blog header.
Yes, it's the same place, my great-grandfather's blacksmith forge.
It's the original building with a brick facade built on some time in the 1920s-30s.
Photobucket
And the irony is there's still horse-drawn carriages on the front apron of his old business!

Photobucket
It just appealed to me.

Photobucket
See, in the rural areas they're not quick to discard buildings out of hand just because they're old, or out of style or not in use; you lot taking notes in Spring Street?

Photobucket
A creek.
Trickling merrily through the front yard.

Photobucket
Lovely old church; recycled into a fab wholesale gallery, gift shop and Christmas shop.

Photobucket
Mechanic's Institute and restored Weighbridge (little white structure on right).

Photobucket
Look carefully (I know the light is dreadful) can you see where the sheet of iron is missing?
Original wooden shingles peeking through.

Photobucket
Chimneys!

And that's enough for now as the gluten free dairy free loaf of bread is ready to come out of the oven, the veggies are screaming to be baked and the tribe are getting restless.

5 comments:

Lisa B said...

I love the photo of the cottage and the path...

Andrew said...

I never knew about your header picture. Good to compare the old and the new. I agree with Lisa, I like the house too.

River said...

Mmmm, baked veggies. now I know what to cook tomorrow night.

Surprising, isn't it, how many Railway Hotels were built so close to Railway Stations? (ha ha)

Lovely photos Jayne. I love rural shots like these.

ELIZABETH said...

Another enjoyable tour thanks. :)

lavenderbay said...

You might like the photos I posted today of the carding-mill-turned-museum. And later this week I may put up a few old headstone shots. No purple fingernails, though.

ShareThis