Thursday, July 1, 2010

Mental illness steals more than your dignity

Read this article about a (fantastic, I think) woman tracing the lost past and memories of those with lives fractured by mental illnesses.
Have a read and hug your loved ones.

In further news about the homeless man there are claims he wasn't 'homeless' but that he had an unstable homelife and would live on the streets for months each time he argued with his partner. The belongings were claimed to be other peoples discarded furniture, ergo it was ok to smash and throw them out.
No one knows what has happened to him as no one was able to make contact with him with claims based on what the ex partner said.
I think some people need to be counselled on the exact definition of 'homelessness' before laughing at these situations.

5 comments:

Colin Campbell said...

No family is so far away from this as I am finding out personally. Homelessness is no fun.

R.H. said...

As a teenager I could only get boring factory jobs with piddling wages, half of which would be paid for a room. I went through a lot of these jobs, sleeping out in-between. I slept up lane ways, in abandoned cars, in parks, and sometimes on the floor of some friend's room where there'd be several of us who weren't supposed to be there. One night a landlady burst in a 2 am and booted us all out. For a few bob I could get a bed for the night at the Salvation Army's Gill Memorial in the city, which I did several times, sleeping in a dorm with forty snoring plonkos. Very few young blokes were homeless in those days. The worst flop joint was Ozanam House in Flemington Road where they made you have a shower at night then took your clothes and locked them away until morning.
When I was seventeen Her Majesty gave me a bed in Pentridge for a month after identifying me as a “Rogue and a Vagabond”. The charge was vagrancy. Society has improved since then; a liberal progression: thousands sleeping out with no danger of arrest. Poverty is accepted now, it's okay to be broke. The homeless are out of the closet.

River said...

I read the article. I'm curious; how would this woman go about tracing the life of someone who has absolutely no memory of who he was and where he came from?

My own son has had a few "homeless" nights for the same reasons as "your" homeless man. sometimes he bunks with friends or other family members, but occasionally he's had a night or two on the street. (there's issues between the siblings, mostly they don't want "her" rocking up and screaming obscenities...)

Cheryl said...

I never ceased to be amazed at life and especially other people's. I've had some things happen to me, but feel very happy to be safe and warm and loved. Great article to bring to our attention and what a fascinating job.

Andrew said...

It was very sad to see so many homeless men in Tokyo. What happens to them in the winter, who knows?

ShareThis