Thursday, August 12, 2010

Friday August 13...the day the Earth stood not-quite-still-enough to play Statues

Have over-indulged in Granny Smiths and Pakham pears today, in celebration for having voted early.....I fear more than just the dog may be dutch ovened in return tonight!
Might be wise if we open a window.
Just in case.

1905 During the Russo-Japanese War Japan snatched the Canadian ship Antiope as a carrier of contraband.
1974 Kurashiki, Japan, became the sister city to Christchurch.
2005 Australian Coalition for Equality (ACE) was launched one year to the day after the Federal Parliament tinkered with the Marriage Act to make it only for opposite sex couples.
It's been half time and we've changed sides but the scrum isn't looking much better.*rolls eyes*
Maybe we should indulge in a few too many Granny Smiths and pop up to Canberra...?

The Nylex Clock is still busted.
Yellow = New Zealand
Orange  = Canada
Green = Australian
Red = UK or other nationality
Italics, bold and coloured blue are links to further info. 
Anything outrageous is usually sarcasm and/or humour

5 comments:

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Friday the 13th is a day of superstition in your country as well as ours! Do you have an idea of how it evolved? I think it must be an English super as we were both colonies of the mother land at one time. -- barbara

rhubarbwhine said...

It wasn't until I read your post that I even realised it was the 13th today. I need no more bad luck, so I sailing in on the assumption that today will be my turning point!

(I didn't know that about the ACE!)

J Bar said...

I'm following your blog now.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

River said...

My over indulging has a more drastic effect.

Friday 13th is usually just another day for me, but today I had some not so good news at the doctors.

Jayne said...

I did once, a long time ago, Barbara, but I'd have to google it again ;)

Hope it was good for you, Rhu!

Thanks, J Bar :)

I saw that, River, hope you can have the surgery soon.

ShareThis