Monday, September 6, 2010

She'll be comin' 'round the mountain when she finally gets her morning cuppa tea

Oh, what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day....
Yes, I'm off-key but at least I'd earn an A for effort despite your bleeding ear drums *snort*

1952 Canada's first telly station began broadcasting when CBFT started airing the dramatised play of Oedipus Rex.
1976 ABBA hit the top of the charts for the beginning of an 8 week run with Dancing Queen.
See that girl, watch that scene, diggin' the Dancing Queen.....
2007 Goodnight Kiwi returned to the telly screens when TVNZ6 began shutting up transmisson at midnight.
Go watch Goodnight Kiwi HERE.
And don't forget to wave goodnight!

Today also marks the 70th anniversary of the arrival of the Dunera Boys; HMT Dunera gave her name to the lads who were deemed to be enemy aliens and transported out to Oz to be interred in PoW camps, where they held concerts, started a soccer team and began a University, amongst other activities.
Further info in the links coloured blue and HERE.
Photos and collections HERE.

The Nylex Clock is still busted.
Yellow = New Zealand
Orange  = Canada
Green = Australian
Red = UK or other nationality
Italics, bold and coloured blue are links to further info. 
Anything outrageous is usually sarcasm and/or humour

5 comments:

Peter said...

Oh, what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day....Sydney Swans have a dream run to the grand final after beating Carlton!

Take Care,
Peter

Jayne said...

Hip hip Hooray!!!!
Carn the Swannies!

LiD said...

I really like the new (to me) blog stylings, Jayne. Been away and you have been busy. The Dunolly blog looks great too. I will have a good look around there with a cuppa in hand.

The large ABBA World sign always makes me smile when I am going past Fed Square. Australia and ABBA can never be parted :). Funny brilliant, and a little embarassing. Takes me back.

River said...

1976; Abba's Mama Mia was played so often on radio, my three year old was word perfect singing along. I grew to hate that particular song, but don't mind it now. Now, I have much ABBA on my I-pod. it's good walking music.
Beautiful day here too.

Debby said...

Yeah. I'm not so big into Abba or coming around the mountain when I come, neither. Just saying. How about I give you an A for annoying?

:^D

ShareThis