Friday, January 14, 2011

Tubthumping explanation - go sing it, sister, and sing it LOUD

Just to explain my reference to Tubthumping yesterday with Premier Anna Bligh's speech -
Tubthumping was a song by Chumbawamba from 1997 (yes, I suddenly feel OLD).
It's a boppy, uplifting song defying the Gods of misery on any ocassion.
With a little Dutch courage from the whisky drink, vodka drink, lager drink and cider drink.
*snort*
Go listen/watch  the song on repeat for a few times and get it stuck in your head for the day.
You will thank me.
Oh, and the "pissing the night away" refers to drinking very weak alcoholic drinks all night long, not sitting on the loo with a weak bladder.

We'll be singing
When we're winning
We'll be singing
I get knocked down
But I get up again
You're never going to keep me down

Pissing the night away
He drinks a whisky drink
He drinks a vodka drink
He drinks a lager drink
He drinks a cider drink
He sings the songs that remind him
Of the good times
He sings the songs that remind him
Of the better times
"Oh Danny Boy
Danny Boy..."
I get knocked down
But i get up again
You're never Goin to keep me down

Pissing the night away
He drinks a whisky drink
He drinks a vodka drink
He drinks a lager drink
He drinks a cider drink
He sings the songs that remind him
Of the good times
He sings the songs that remind him
Of the better times
"Don't cry for me
Next door neighbour..."
I get knocked down
But I get up again
You're never going to keep me down

We'll be singing
When we're winning
We'll be singing
I get knocked down
But I get up again
You're never going to keep me down

I get knocked down
But I get up again
You're never going to keep me down

I get knocked down
But I get up again
You're never going to keep me down
 

7 comments:

Windsmoke. said...

When i first heard Tubthumping i couldn't get it out of my head for weeks it's very catchy indeed. I reckon Anna Bligh is a top looking Aussie Shelia.

LiD said...

I had forgotten about this song, Jayne. :)I think Anna Bligh has done an excellent job of keeping us all informed, and maintaining the spirit needed to come back from this crisis. She really has risen to the occasion.

River said...

I remeber Tubthumping and got the reference straight away when I read yesterday's post.
It's a great song.
Speaks to the Aussie spirit. You'll never keep us down.

Red Nomad OZ said...

OMIGOD! Can't believe that song was that long ago!!! I didn't get your blogpost title at first - doesn't EVERYONE know the song? I guess maybe it's just us 'oldies'!!!!

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Trish.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

I remeber this song - just what we need this week.
Time for us all to start singing x
Stay safe x

lavenderbay said...

Eesh. First I image-Googled the flood pictures, as you instructed, then I listened to that marvelous song (which is how old???). Y'know, all that brine can't be good for my facial skin.

Debby said...

I remember the song. I didn't know it was called tubthumping. Huh. And I never got the 'pissing the night away' until you explained it. You are ever educational.

That flooding! From my vantage point, it seems as if it will simply not end.

ShareThis