Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A bit of old Harry for the cheeky old bugger who's done a bunk

The old boy has gone, done a flit around 7pm, waited til the kid got back from footy training.
Always knew he had issues with my cooking but that's going to extremes to avoid eating it!

Saint Peter


Henry Lawson

1893



Now, I think there is a likeness
'Twixt St Peter's life and mine
For he did a lot of trampin'
Long ago in Palestine.
He was "union" when the workers
First began to organise,
And I'm glad that old St Peter
Keeps the gate of Paradise.

When the ancient agitator
And his brothers carried swags,
I've no doubt he very often
Tramped with empty tucker-bags;
And I'm glad he's Heaven's picket,
For I hate explainin' things,
And he'll think a union ticket
Just as good as Whitely King's.

He denied the Saviour's union,
Which was weak of him, no doubt;
But perhaps his feet was blistered
And his boots had given out.
And the bitter storm was rushin'
On the bark and on the slabs,
And a cheerful fire was blazin',
And the hut was full of "scabs".

When I reach the great head-station –
Which is somewhere "off the track" –
I won't want to talk with angels
Who have never been out back ;
They might bother me with offers
Of a banjo – meanin' well –
And a pair of wings to fly with,
When I only want a spell.

I'll just ask for old St Peter,
And I think, when he appears,
I will only have to tell him
That I carried swag for years.
"I've been on the track," I'll tell him,
"an' I done the best I could,"
And he'll understand me better
Than the other angels would.

He won't try to get a chorus
Out of lungs that's worn to rags,
Or to graft the wings on shoulders
That is stiff with humpin' swags.
But I'll rest about the station
Where the work-bell never rings,
Till they blow the final trumpet
And the Great Judge sees to things.

20 comments:

Veronica said...

This is perfect.

Take care of yourself, okay?

Keri said...

You have shown such strength, humour and integrity through this.

You're a treasure, an example to us all, and a bloody great daughter.

Keep well, lovely.

Red Nomad OZ said...

I'm so full of admiration for your guts and goodness. Take care.

scottsabode said...

Sorry Jayne. My condolences to you and your family.

Mary Paddock said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Jayne.

ELIZABETH said...

Beautiful.

A good journey and now a chance to rest.

Esse said...

His courtesy in waiting for the boy is just beautiful.
The poem is a lovely and so evocative tribute.

Janine said...

Love that he waited for FB to return home from training. Hugs to you Ro and the family. Beautiful words.

Kiwi Nomad 2008 said...

Condolences to you all Jayne. I know it has been exhausting for you looking after him in his last days, but what a precious thing you have done. And may St Peter have already conducted him through the gates, just in time for the Easter shindig! You will miss his constant presence -thinking of you. Margaret

Debby said...

Condolences to you and to your family, Jayne. I hope you get some well deserved quiet time.

Windsmoke. said...

My condolences, thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, take care :-).

BUSH BABE said...

You know that Hug Gatherer in your sidebar is for you right now, right? You amaze me with your humour and strength right now - and Henry Lawson is absolutely fitting.
Hugs
BB

Kelley @ magnetoboldtoo said...

xx

no words just love.

LiD said...

I'm so sorry, Jayne. What a grand gentleman to choose his time so kindly, and wait for your boy.I like to think old Harry will be waiting in line to stand your dad a drink 'somewhere off the track'. Take care of yourself.

Jo-anne "Blossy" said...

Sending some love your way Jayne. Take care xoxo

deardarl said...

Big Hugs.

Watershedd said...

Love and hugs from me and my GOFA. May all his Dreamings be realised and those dear to his heart who went ahead of him be holding his hands now.

Thinking of you. X

River said...

That's a great poem Jayne, seems to fit your dad to a T.

Lachlan said...

Thinking of you,

G
xxx

Davoh said...

Jayne, i did see this shortly after you posted this, and the previous, but .. well .. couldn't find any chirpy or facile words of sympathy.

Even now, all that i can come up with at the moment is
((((Jayne)))))

ShareThis