Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Good old fashioned rice pudd with stewed fruit

Cold nights call for good old fashioned hot grub followed by lovely warm desserts to keep the chill off the tootsies.

1 cup of white rice boiled in a pot of 1.5 -2 cups of hot water for 15 mins, turn off the heat, whack a lid on and let it stand to absorb the water.
After 20-30 mins add enough milk to turn it soupy (or less to taste) heat, stirring, then add maple syrup, 2 teaspoons of sugar (or not, to taste) ground ginger, vanilla essence and serve with stewed rhubarb on top,
With a healthy dollop of vanilla yoghurt on top of the rhubarb (or cream if you're really game to clog those arteries).

Another adult alternative my mum used to do was soak a cup of sultanas/raisins in half a cup of brandy/rum/whisky then stir them into the cooked rice pudding.
There was never any left the next morning...

15 comments:

peskypixies said...

yum yum yum
i want some now.

can you use basmati rice instead?

Jayne said...

Yep, you can use any rice you like, really!

Kiwi Nomad 2008 said...

Great to see you back on the blog- missed you in your resting time. By the way, I think it might be warmer here today than there- lots of sunshine today. Won't last though!

River said...

Coincidence! I've been thinking about rice pudding for days now. Just haven't got around to making it. My recipe is different, rice, milk, sugar and vanilla essence, then baked in the oven until creamy.

Red Nomad OZ said...

STOP! I'm salivating ... and that's not a pretty sight in the middle of a caravan park full of grey nomads. Any more, and they might think I'm drooling!!

Adult version sounds fab!!!

Myst_72 said...

The other half would love this :)

I may even cook it for him if he plays his cards right ;)

G
xx

Davoh said...

must be something in the raisins .. heh.

rhubarbwhine said...

One of the few things I DON'T eat - rice pudding. Ew! (The rest of it sounds delightful!)

Janine said...

yummmmmmmmmmmy I love rice pudding and I always find it hit and miss when I attempt to cook it. However a month ago I found a fail proof slow cooker recipe. Love the adult version you shared.

jeanie said...

Oh yum - you have been in my mind, digging out me requirement of a rice pudding recipe.

Cheers and hugs, girlie!!

I Know I'm A Dreamer But....... said...

I call that creamed rice, yummy. My dads girlfriend used to make it but she added whipped cream so it was light and fluffy then a can of crushed drained pineapple. She always made it when she knew I was coming for a visit :P I like the idea of maple syrup with it!

JahTeh said...

I like baked rice custard with loads of cinnamon and whipped cream or yoghurt but these days I have to work out whether it is low GI, low cholesterol, low fat and no sugar and none of my recipes are that. Sultanas soaked in booze is a nice addition but booze is off the menu as well.

Cazzie!!! said...

I am SO doing this recipe!

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Thanks for the fabulous recipe -- will try it out -- barbara

Debby said...

Hi, Jayne. Thinking of you today, and hoping that you're kicked back on a sofa eating rice pudding, having a delightfully indolent rest. Love.

ShareThis