Sunday, August 21, 2011

21 today, 21 today!

Only one more day and I may be back.
Or not.
Depending on how firmly my feet get welded to the Dunolly soil.

One of the more infamous Aussie political cartoons appeared in the Bulletin on this day in 1886.
Titled The Mongolian Octopus, you instantly recognise the reason for its infamy.

Captain Cook was a busy laddie annexing Oz in 1770.
When he could have been better employed darning his hose.

The Timaru Herald commented in 1872 that the future historian would be confused over New Zealand history.
Ummm.......

In 1896 the Taranaki Herald said that, in Adelaide, the Treasurer led his Budget speech with the fact he 'had a pleasant story to tell'.
Awww.
Wait...that's Budgetry speak for "someone's gonna get rolled to make up a tax", innit?

Photobucket
And here's the key to your shackles if you've been good.

5 comments:

The Elephant's Child said...

Love that key. And I think the pleasant story the Treasurer had to tell meant that people HAD been screwed and the budget was back in surplus. Grrr.

River said...

The key! The key!
Finally I'm free....

Windsmoke. said...

That's the key us blokes use to remove the ball and chain from our ankles :-).

Brian Hughes said...

I want to see that cartoon, but reasons best left to my dysfunctional dongle it won't load in.

Bookkeeping Melbourne said...

"I want to see that cartoon, but reasons best left to my dysfunctional dongle it won't load in." Me too.

ShareThis