Tuesday, September 27, 2011

So, I cobbled together this potpourri of stuffs for you....

Goodness, where do I start today?!
There's a shedload of news to share with you - stuffs that land in my inbox or tap me on the shoulder in the interwebs as I trot merrily about it - from Oz and Overseas!

First up, the very sad news Aussie Sci-fi and Fantasy author Sara Douglass has passed away after her battle with cancer.

There have been protests at the new proposed height restrictions on Christchurch buildings, while others have protested at the manner in which Trinity Church was demolished without salvaging any heritage materials.
Right or wrong, whichever side you agree with, I think safety was the main concern in each instance after such loss and devastation.

Interesting to see that Cockatoo Kinder's heritage 'significance' was diminished by the destruction of outer and inner walls ...I say interesting as I've read of a few unapproved demolitions of heritage listed buildings where the buildings were reconstructed in the same facade/manner to replace what was removed.
Can this not be applied for this building, too...?
This building was used by 300 as a refuge during the horrific Ash Wednesday bush fires.
Hopefully Cardinia Council will follow recommendations from Heritage Victoria to include the building in council heritage overlays.
There is a Facebook support group to help preserve this building.

Read what oodles of goodies in silver were found in a Brit shipwreck in the Atlantic!
Ooooo, noice!
With 20% going to the British Govt that should help the coffers...a bit.

Parks Victoria has a Master Plan!
*insert sinister music*
Just kidding!
Or am I...? *snort*
While I can understand the banning of dogs and fishing in a conservation area how much damage does cycling do, seriously?
If they're worried about those dreaded grey cyclists in form-hugging lycra changing inner tubes in the midst of virgin bushland scaring native fauna, what about those rabid ramblers rattling about the undergrowth or the titillated twitchers trailling birdies...?
It's the lycra they're opposed to, isn't it?

Seems there's gold in them thar Western Victorian hills, dales, planes, pot holes, trees and all over the shop.
Maybe.

And, yes, it's damn well beyond time Australian Aboriginal history was imparted to our youngsters; they are one of (if not the oldest) cultures yet our kids know more about British and American history than that of their own country and can speak any other language other than the local Indigenous languages.
It's 2011 not 1911.

6 comments:

The Elephant's Child said...

That final point has me shouting, YES, YES, YES. LISTEN TO THAT WOMAN. ABOUT BLOODY TIME.

Windsmoke. said...

Not only should Australian Aboriginal history be taught to our youngsters but Australian History in general :-).

Janine said...

Oh there is a bit of everything in your post today. That's sad about Sara Douglas. As for education and aboriginal history in Oz, I am still surprised that it's not a given.

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Not only would it be good for your youngsters to learn about Australian Aboriginal history and culture -- it would be good for the rest of the world -- especially me in the U.S.! -- barbara

ELIZABETH said...

Sara Douglass was the reason I got started on the computer. I read her first book, Battle Axe, and noted a www. link that took me to her bulletin board. I lurked awhile and then joined. Over time I became a moderator on that board. I met her on her North American book tour and stayed in contact with her over the years even when she closed her BB down. I have a long list of Australian friends thanks to that BB.
I honestly don't think I would have embraced the computer quite so quickly without the fun of that first step.
Thanks Sara. You will be missed.

Red Nomad OZ said...

HHHMMMmmm... never thought of cycling as an extreme sport! Or even a blood sport!! Weird, huh.

ShareThis