Thursday, June 28, 2012

Multiplying celery and rooting vegies at home

How often have you bought a bunch of celery and it's sat in the crisper long enough to start sprouting new celery stalks?
*crickets chirping*
Oh, just me, then?

Well, I was very excited to see this post on how to grow a whole new bunch of celery from the base of a store-bought bunch.
You know you chop that bit off cos it's full of gritty bits and slugs and bugs and snails and holy heck what are those black wriggly things in the bottom...?
No?
Just me again?

Here is the celery after I did a Michael Myers on it sans the hockey mask.
 Photobucket
 Hockey masks are a bother in the kitchen and they don't help with chopping onions.
There will be another recipe for this lot that I shall subject you to tomorrow.
It involves bacon.
Hmmm, baaaaaacon....

And here is the bottom, soaking in a bowl of tepid water til it eats roots and leaves. Photobucket
That's the naughty paintbrush that painted the laptop lid in glitter.
Tsk, tsk.
I'll let you know how successful I am.
Or not.

Another cheap cheats way is to buy the bunches of spring onions going out for a song; I get them for anywhere from 20 cents to 50 cents at local greengrocers at the end of days trading.
Take them home, shove em in a pot and, after a few days/a week voila!
You have a ready-made bunch of spring onions you can snip as you need and leave in the ground to regrow, which I learned from Frog Dancer.

Also happy to find out how to root a sweet potato.
Yes, I'm forever rooting my vegies, aren't you?
Oh, just me, again?

6 comments:

River said...

If I had a dollar for every bunch of celery that I'd thrown out, I'd have enough to buy the farm. I now buy just one celery stick at a time.

Jayne said...

You can stick it in a large pot to grow and cut each celery stalk as you need it, River.

Kath Lockett said...

I've given up on celery entirely. It always ends up being 'poured' out of my crisper straight down the kitchen plug hole!

Windsmoke. said...

I always thought Wombats eats, roots and leaves :-).

Jayne said...

I try and use the damn stuff as quickly as possible, Kath, but it still turns a bit nasty.

Jayne said...

Ah, Windsmoke, more than just wombats with that habit :P

ShareThis