Sunday, September 15, 2013

September 15 Stuff in Oz History

Another lovely day wherein I have many plans to attack the garden but we shall see what the back says.
I took Andrew's advice re delegating the ripping the lawn up by hand and I have a very cunning plan to con the Feral Teen into taking my place....it involves pocket money *snort*

Hoping to trundle up to the Oakleigh Sunday Market and score some flowering plants...that's if I can unearth the males of the tribe from their slumbers.

1924 - Born on this day was a chappie who is now in the Stockman's Hall of Fame Francis James Wilson; he started working as a stockman at the age of 14 (imagine trying to shoe-horn current-day 14yr olds off their laptops!) and, apart from also enjoying roughriding, he stayed working in this capacity for 50 years.

2012 - Over 200 people, including newly arrived asylum seekers, receive an Aboriginal Passport. The Aboriginal Passport was first introduced in 1988 by Palawa (Tasmanian) activist, Michael Mansell, and was issued to an Aboriginal Delegation that visited Libya.
The Aboriginal Passport is for the sole purpose of travelling within the Aboriginal Nations. The Aboriginal Passport can be obtained by citizens of any country, provided they agree with and sign the Pledge. The Aboriginal Passport is for internal travel through the aboriginal nations only and not for external use or for putting up on a mantle-piece or bookshelf somewhere around the world. It is not a form of a solidarity token or totem, it is a living document to be used to show solidarity with the traditional owners of the land. It is strictly to be used in Australia by non-aboriginal travellers.

1793 - The winds blows high and the wind blows low,
through the streets in a kilt I go,
all the lassies shout,
"Hello! Donald where's yer trewers?"
And thus it possibly was the war cry of Cap William Paterson when he led a troop of Scotsmen in the first attempt to cross those ruddy difficult Blue Mountains.
History tells us they dinna succeed but I'm sure there were a few singing,
 "I belong to Glasgow, dear old Glasgow Town, what's the matter with Glasgow for it's going round and round, I'm just a common old working chap as anyone here can see, and when I get a couple of drinks on a Saturday Glasgow belongs to me!!!!"

1970 - The General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church  in Australia showed commonsense and real Christian love when they voted in favour of homosexual law reform.

1946 - Damage was reported from Burnie to Huonville in Tassie and also in Gippsland, Victoria from a rollicking 6.2 earthquake in Bass Strait.


5 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I didn't know about the Aboriginal passport. Thank you. I would love one, as a gesture of respect to the original inhabitants of our country.

River said...

I've never heard of the Aboriginal passport either.
Now my head is filled with thoughts of Scotsmen in kilts trying to climb mountains. Hope they wore sturdy climbing boots.

Andrew said...

I like the idea of the passport, but I wonder if it is taken seriously? You Tube Andy Stewart's version of Donald, with some Elvis style singing in it.

Brian Hughes said...

I'm sure there were a few singing,
"I belong to Glasgow, dear old Glasgow Town..."

"There's a moose loose aboot this hoose!" surely?

Vest said...

Having duel passports and using a walking stick offers the fastest access to the outside world when arriving at international airports. Bin There Dun that.

Singing "Waltzing Matilda" Will slow you down at Heathrow.

ShareThis